MINUTES OF THE BIT EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
TOWN OF FRYE ISLAND
September 14, 2006
The location of the meeting was the Community Center, Town of Frye Island
The meeting was called to order by Bruce Nisula at 7:05 PM
Those present were as follows:
BIT EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE: Bruce Nisula, Joe Potts, Debbie
Anthony, John Nun, and James Kuiken
OTHER: Wayne Fournier, Town Manager; Carl Hommel, John and Laura Crosby
The purpose of the meeting was to hold a workshop on the budget for 2007. Budget discussions initiated at earlier meetings of the Board of Selectmen/BIT Executive (BOS/BIT) Committee Meeting were continued with the focus on a draft budget circulated by Wayne via email today, September 14, 2006. The departmental budgets were reviewed with the following budgetary issues being among those discussed:
1) Fee changes approved at the BOS/BIT Committee Meeting on September 9.
2) Management fees.
3) Charging for ferry use by Town Departments, the Store (Town is obligated by the terms of the lease to provide ferry use to store), Town volunteers, and Town employees will increase taxes.
4) Winter office expenses.
6) Health Insurance premiums.
7) Abatement requests anticipated.
8) Salary increases in DPW are 5% for yearly increments, and about 9% for more hours to be worked pre- and post-season.
9) Capital equipment expenditure plan from DPW was needed.
10) Potential changes in electrical fees for BOS/BIT to consider.
11) Ferry problems with pilings, gantries, and haul-out that must be addressed before funds begin to accumulate for purchase of new ferry.
12) Computation of property tax levy limit in accord with LD-1.
13) Budget adjustments to stay within property tax levy limit if reasonably possible.
14) Procedures required by statute to raise the levy limit, if Town voters wish to do so.
15) Clarification of fire department services item was needed.
16) Increasing property assessment to raise tax monies for water system improvement.
17) Draft wording of the relevant Warrant Articles.
Jim Kuiken made a motion to adjourn at 10:35 PM, which was seconded by Deb Anthony – Unanimously approved.
Bruce C. Nisula