MINUTES OF SPECIAL SELECTMEN'S MEETING

WITH BIT PARTICIPATION

 

TOWN OF FRYE ISLAND

JANUARY 24, 2004

  

The location of the meeting was the Holiday Inn Express, Saco, ME

 

The meeting was called to order at 9:02 AM by James Kuiken

 

Selectmen:  James Kuiken, Bob Roberts, Dave Decker

 

BIT:  Pat Karpacz, Dick Giggey, Grace Morin, Jim O'Connor

 

Town Manager:  Wayne Fournier

 

MOTION to accept the minutes of the December 6, 2003 Selectmen's Meeting

made by James Kuiken and seconded by Dave Decker - Unanimous

 

FINANCIALS:  Profit & Loss Statement is only preliminary, the bank statement

                           has not yet been received.

 

                           Audit for 2003 has been started.

 

                           Accounting package is being changed from Quickbooks to Trio

 

GOLF COMMITTEE:  Winter meeting is scheduled for March 6 & 7, 2004

 

MARINA COMMITTEE:  No winter meeting is scheduled

 

                                              Jim O'Connor reported that rental fees at Naples

                                              Marina is $1,050.00;  Jordan Bay Marina is $57.00

                                              per foot;  and Richardson's was $950.00 for 2003

                                              with no fee being set for 2004 as of yet.

 

                                             Discussed inequities of slip assignments.

 

                                              Jim O'Connor to meet with Wayne to discuss slip

                                              assignments.

 

                                              Fee schedule for 2004 will be set at the BIT's

                                              February 21, 2004 meeting

 

RECREATION COMMITTEE:  Sarah might not return for 2004 season, she has

                                                        accepted another position

 

                                                        Ceramics - discussed fee for use of Community

                                                        Center

 

                                                        There is an existing policy that sets fees for

                                                        renting the Community Center

 

                                                        Place the Community Center Rental Application

                                                        on the website

 

PETITIONS & COMMUNICATIONS:

 

     Oleg Svetlichney reported the SAD 6 budget is in process and the evaluation of

     real estate in the district has increased by One Hundred Ninety Seven Million

     Dollars.

 

OLD BUSINESS:

 

     Ferry Haul Out Facility:  Tell Len Langer to write letter to Kleinschmidt asking

                                               him to provide the Town with a redesigned Haul Out

                                               System the operates properly.

 

     Administration Building Repair:  Go back to Tim Shelley of Shelley Engineering

                                                            asking if footings under deck are capable of

                                                            supporting second story and should the new

                                                            footings be installed below the frost line?

 

MOTION to send letter of intent to Zachau Construction, Inc. stating that repairs

to the Administration Building will begin as soon as weather permits made by

James Kuiken and seconded by Bob Roberts - Unanimous

 

NEW BUSINESS:

 

     Manager's Report:  Trio accounting package is being implemented

 

                                       Will start to do payroll in house April 1, 2004

 

                                       Starting to scan existing files to disc

 

                                       Replacement of engines in the Ellie Corliss will begin

                                       January 26, 2004

 

                                       2004 ferry schedule and ferry policy are being worked on

 

                                      Roof on ferry trailer is leaking - Wayne to get pricing for

                                      repair

 

                                      Need policy on ferry users - who rides the ferry for free?

 

MOTION to go to Executive Session made by James Kuiken and seconded by Dave

Decker - Unanimous

 

Returned from Executive Session - addressed personnel issues

 

Property taxes for Golf Course and Marina - Jim O'Connor stated the BIT  has to

                                                                          have more input and set budget figures

 

                                                                          Discussion on implementing Personal

                                                                          Property Tax on slips to prevent

                                                                          subsidy

 

Ferry ticket complaint:  Kerry Kells has written the Attorney General complaining

                                        about increase in ferry ticket pricing.  Mr. Kells stated that

                                        the price stated on the blue ticket is a contract and should

                                        be honored.  Wayne has sent a letter to Attorney General

                                        stating the price of ferry tickets was approved at Town

                                        Meeting and the Town Charter allows for this.

 

MOTION to limit the sale of ferry tickets to twenty (20) tickets at a time made by

James Kuiken and seconded by Pat Karpacz - Unanimous

 

Transfer Station:  John Crosby proposed a new operating policy for the Transfer

                               Station - the proposal was accepted but the gates will be kept

                               open 2 feet during unmanned times.

 

Water System:

 

MOTION to expend up to $20,000.00 to pay A. E. Hodsdon for preliminary

engineering fees made by James Kuiken and seconded by Bob Roberts - Unanimous

 

MOTION to adjourn at 1:50 PM made by James Kuiken and seconded by Bob

Roberts - Unanimous

 

Respectfully submitted,

  

James L. Kuiken