Golf Committee
Minutes of Meeting of June 10, 2006

 

 

A.  MEMBERS PRESENT:   Don Davis, Laura Davis, Mike Hurley, Paul Lyons, Mike Mazzola, Bruce Nisula, Vic Solomini, and Mark Thomas.

 

B.    OTHERS PRESENT:   Kaitlyn Nisula and A.C. Riley during discussion of Club House Expansion; Laura Crosby; and Wayne Fournier, Town Manager.

 

C.    LOCATION:  Golf Club Lounge

 

D.   CALL TO ORDER:  Director Thomas called the Meeting to order at 12:00 NOON.

 

E.    PRIOR MINUTES:  The draft of the prior meeting had been previously approved by unanimous vote over the internet.

 

F.    EXECUTIVE SESSION : None

 

G.   OLD BUSINESS

 

1)     The Club House Expansion project was discussed at great length.  The space would be mainly a dining room (function room) and kitchen with handicap facilities.  It would be used for Town functions (Social Activities, Dinners, Banquets, Committee Meetings), Golf Club Membership functions, leasing for social functions, and Outside Tournaments.  Mike M. made a short presentation of the concept design that he had presented at the Winter Meeting.  The initial guess at the cost of a 900 sf two level project would be $120 thousand.   While the exact size and design remain to be formalized (Paul and Mike will collaborate on this aspect), it was decided important to develop a rendition of the concept to enable the Fund Raising Committee to begin its work.  Mike M. will have a rendition prepared that reflects his current vision.  Mark and AC agreed to be on the Committee, and other members will be sought.  No funds or financing will be sought from the Town; and nil of the Operation Reserve is available to the project since it is already committed to operations.  Therefore, funding will have to come entirely from donations.  Both Kaitlyn and AC made a number of superb and insightful suggestions for how to proceed.

2)     The financial reports were reviewed. Wayne presented the reports prepared by the Town.  The operational expenses and revenues appear on target for the time of year.   There is $37,117.55 in Operation Reserve and $10,000 in Equipment Reserve.  When the 2005 positive cash flow is determined (estimated to be around $26,600), $15,470 of it will be placed in Equipment Reserve and the balance placed in Operating Reserve.  There are two remaining payments to be made on the tractor (2007 and 2008).

3)     Membership update:  34 Family and 24 Individual Memberships have been activated so far this year.

4)     The Coordinators gave brief updates on progress:  Bruce reported that Jim had finished re-wiring the irrigation controllers (Bruce will get the Course Drawing to Mike H. for preparation of reduction copies for Jim’s use); he expects two golf carts to arrive next week; has prepared a list of projects for volunteers; put in the fencing for Hole 1; and set up a computer in his office.  Laura D. mentioned the Workday planned for tomorrow should be cancelled due to the rain, and it was re-scheduled for Sunday, July 9, after the Scramble.  Bruce reported that he had developed a set of Guidelines for soliciting Outside Tournaments and that he had distributed them to Laura and Jim. Don reported that the Ryder Cup went well and was started in a shotgun fashion without problem.  He also said that the GHIN system was running properly now.

5)     Groups interested in having Outside Tournaments generally request us to allow a Shotgun Start as is typically done at other clubs.   It was noted that we have avoided these in the past in the belief that doing so was accommodating to Islanders that want to play early in the morning.  But, against that issue one must balance the relatively light play we have during the week and the Course’s need to encourage outside revenue sources.  Bruce made, and Mike seconded, a motion that shotgun starts be permitted Mondays through Thursdays (non-holiday)  before 10:30 AM.  Approved unanimously.  The Pro Shop can allow persons on the course prior to an Outside Tournament with a shotgun start, with the admonition that they must be off the course by the start of the Tournament.

6)     Laura C. requested an update on the screen door project.  Paul said that he had spoken with Dave Witham, but that Dave had not gotten back to him.  Mark offered to discuss it with Dave when he sees him.  There is rotted wood that must be replaced before the screen door is replaced.

7)     Discussion of the Golf Yardage Marker Book was tabled to the next meeting.

8)     Tom Bishop’s group is scheduled for June 15.  Wayne noted that they were doing work on the ferry landing, but that he would arrange for them to start after Tom’s bus arrives.

9)     Don D. will look into the cooling requirements for the ProShop and Lounge and make a recommendation on what we should do to improved the situation. 

10) Kitchen Sub-Committee:  Laura D. reported the results of  her investigations into the kitchen situation.  The priorities worked out with Lorraine and Sue are as follows:  1)  Replace the water pump so that the sink is functional and dependable; 2)  Replace the sink with ones deep enough to handle large pots use to prepare food (and gooseneck faucets); 3)  Bring in a 4 foot food preparation table; 4)  Put in a double oven on the wall or have 2 stoves (with level cooking surfaces)—the preference is to go with the 2 stoves as they will be considerably less expensive;  5)  Paint the concrete; and 6) Add something to the floor, probably some sort of rubberized mesh matting.  A motion was made and seconded that up to $2,000 from the Operational Reserve account be spent on the above items.  Thus, the “Kitchen-SubCommitee” can make the purchases within the $2,000 allowance without further approval by the full Committee.

11) Laura has prepared a flyer to be sent to prospective businesses regarding markers. She will email copies to everyone for comment.  She asked if two company names could be on the same marker, and the response was affirmative.

12)  Laura has prepared a letter to be sent to new Islanders who are prospective members. She will email copies to everyone for comment.

13) Mark raised issue with our computer, suggesting that it may be time to consider getting a new one from Dell.   Mike said he would take a look at it; the perception of its being slow may just be the fact that we are using a phone modem rather than broadband connection.   It was also pointed out that it has a tendency to crash (Millenium is a notoriously inferior operating system).

14) Workdays are scheduled for July 9 and September 24. May workday was highly productive of lots of brush.

15)   Our current list of potential projects is reproduced below:

 

                        Major Capital Cost

    1.      Purchase equipment as needed.

    2.      Purchase Golf Carts (This year)

    3.      Restructure and Level 5th Hole Tee (2-5 years).

    4.      Expand Club House (1-5 years)

    5.      Driving Range (Long term)

    6.      Putting Green/Practice Bunker (Long term)

    

    Minor Capital Cost

    1.      Purchase new pull carts (This year) - DONE

    2.      Replacing the plastic/aluminum chairs and tables.  (This year) - PARTIAL

    3.      Add another Air conditioner to Lounge (This year)(A Member may donate a used one)

    4.      Install directional signage to the Golf Course. (This year) - DONE

    5.      Add Ball and Club Cleaners - DELETED

    7.      Print Yardage Guide Booklet – PROVIDE INPUT FOR NEXT MEETING

 

    Greens keeping Staff  (or Lounge Staff)

    

    1.      Repair area in front of 3rd Hole pond. IN PROGRESS

    2.      Repairing, re-leveling, and reseeding tees where needed.

    3.      Remove the dirt mound on the 9th Hole and plant grass.

    4.      Improve drainage on 2nd Hole front of tees, and between pond and green.

    5.      Expand the pond on 5 forward toward the green to improve drainage.

    6.      Remove Bunker on 5th Hole.

    7.      Improve definition of the cart path on 3 and 6 and add bluestone.

    8.      Stone/timber curbing for the 1st Hole Tee Box.DONE

    9.    Restructure and level 5th Hole Tee Box.

    10.  Putting Green/Practice Bunker Development.

    11.  Enlarge Women’s Tee Boxes on 3rd and 9th Holes.

    12.  Add a fairway bunker to 7th Hole. (future consideration)

    

    Membership (Minimal Cost)

    

    1.      Loaming over the holes and ruts on the fairways. (This year and 2-5 years)

    2.      Add a motor to rotate the TV antenna.  (This year)

    3.      Repairing of rotting wood at the door entrance and adding a screen to the Pro Shop. (This year)

    4.      Clearing of brush, branches and rocks from wooded areas in selected  parts of the course to allow golfers a more reasonable opportunity to play out of the woods. (Yearly)

    5.      Maintenance of Tee Marker flowers to give color without obstructing plaque. (Yearly)

 

I.  CORRESPONDENCE AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

    1.  Future Meeting Dates as follows:

 

July 16, 2006; and then every second Sunday immediately after the Sunday Scramble.

 

J.  MEETING ADJOURNMENT

1)    Adjourned at 2:25 PM.

 

Minutes approved via the Internet.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Bruce C. Nisula

Secretary, Golf Club Committee