Golf Committee
Minutes of Meeting of May 20, 2006

 

 

A.  MEMBERS PRESENT:   Don Davis, Laura Davis, Bill Gately, Mike Hurley, Paul Lyons, Mike Mazzola, Bruce Nisula, Vic Solomini, and Mark Thomas.

 

B.    OTHERS PRESENT:   Jim Hodge, Course Superintendent; Wayne Fournier, Town Manager.

 

C.    LOCATION:  Golf Club Lounge

 

D.   CALL TO ORDER:  Director Thomas called the Meeting to order at 6:00 PM.

 

E.    PRIOR MINUTES:  The draft of the prior meeting (Winter) had been previously approved by unanimous vote over the internet.

 

F.    EXECUTIVE SESSION : None

 

G.   OLD BUSINESS

 

1)     The financial reports were reviewed. Two entries were noted to require adjustment—Tee Marker $150 under 141 should be under 501; and the entry for $11,677 under Workman’s Comp belongs in another Town account, as it was misplaced here.  Wayne agreed to arrange the revisions.  The operational expenses and revenues appear on target for the time of year.   There is $37,022.90 in Operation Reserve and $10,000 in Equipment Reserve.  When the 2005 positive cash flow is determined, $15,470 of it will be placed in Equipment Reserve.  There are two remaining payments to be made on the tractor (2007 and 2008).

2)     The Coordinators gave brief updates on progress:  Bruce reported the Course was in good shape after the winter.  Mark noted the Lounge was doing well.  Business appeared to be better this year perhaps due to the new signage.  Laura D. mentioned the Workday planned for tomorrow—gathering of wood, rather than loaming due to the wetness.  Bill commented that the scrambles are going well.  Bruce reported that he was developing a set of Guidelines for soliciting Outside Tournaments.  Mike H. had prepared some very nice posters showing the Tournament Schedule and preparations for the Ryder Cup were briefly reviewed. 

3)     The Course Superintendent, Jim Hodge, presented the Committee a report on his progress with various projects around the Course and made some recommendations.  He needs a breakdown on the budget for Staffing, which Bruce or Mark will provide.  He has been working out some bugs in the irrigation system, and developing a map and operations manual.  He presented a wonderful Golf Course Maintenance Manual that he had prepared, which will be an invaluable resource that documents how we care for the course going forward.  He has been taking an equipment inventory and will put together a 5 year plan later in the year.  For now, he is leaning toward a request for a riding rotary mower with a 60” deck, which should be a more productive and efficient way to mow the rough in those tight areas around obstacles, tees, and greens.   It was mentioned that the 3rd fairway in front of the pond is a distressed area that is a top priority.  He will use peat moss and sand and rope off the area.  On the issue of drainage in general he recommends slit drainage, which will require hiring a contractor to do many areas at once to be most cost effective.  He will develop a plan  and submit a budget, which cost would be born by our Reserves.  With respect to Acquacide, he noted that he does not have a license to treat water, but could take the courses and test to get one.  Questions were raised about environmental impacts.  Mark said he would seek further input from the Member that called the product to his attention.  He confirmed that a golf cart had been converted for Public Works use.  He noted that pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers had been purchased for this season, and that the cost was well within budget.  His approach is curative on tees and preventative on greens.  He reported that ball and club cleaners were quite expensive, and it was decided not to proceed with purchasing any at this point.

4)     The issue of a different entrance to the Golf Course area was put on a back burner as the current entrance is serving our needs.

5)      Currently, markers are available on Men’s and Women’s Three and Women’s Nine.  Laura is preparing a flyer to be sent to prospective candidates.  Mark reminded everyone that plantings around markers should not obscure the advertisement.

6)     Mark should be contacted by those willing to volunteer to run the July 4th weekend Ice Cream Social.  Five or six persons make a comfortable number.

7)     Money was set aside in the Winter Meeting to improve the existing kitchen facilities at the Lounge.  Lorraine, Laura D. and Sue will develop a plan.  Then, someone to implement their plan will be sought.

8)     Workdays are scheduled for June 11 and September 24.

9)     Jim suggested we use a series of posts extending about 18 inches out of the ground to demarcate the first Tee from the cart path.  The idea was received with enthusiasm.

10)  Thus far there are eight new members that have become Members.

11)  The Clubhouse Expansion Project will be reviewed in detail at our next meeting.  Mark noted that A.C. Riley had volunteered to work on the project.   Paul suggested construction of a 16 by 28 storage shed on the side opposite the Pro Shop.

12) The entrance to the Pro-Shop needs some maintenance and repair attention, and a new screen door.  A Member to volunteer to take over the project will be sought.

13)   The Golf Yardage Book reproduced by M. Hurley was passed out to the Committee in order to elicit comment and review for the next meeting.

14)  Don will be taking the USGA test required to meet our handicap requirement.

15)   Our current list of potential projects is reproduced below:

 

          Major Capital Cost

    1.      Purchase equipment as needed.

    2.      Purchase Golf Carts (This year)

    3.      Restructure and Level 5th Hole Tee (2-5 years).

    4.      Expand Club House (2-5 years)

    5.      Driving Range (Long term)

    6.      Putting Green/Practice Bunker (Long term)

    

    Minor Capital Cost

    1.      Purchase new pull carts (This year) - DONE

    2.      Replacing the plastic/aluminum chairs and tables.  (This year)

    3.      Add another Air conditioner to Lounge (This year)(A Member may donate a used one)

    4.      Install directional signage to the Golf Course. (This year) - DONE

    5.      Add Ball and Club Cleaners (on hold)

    7.      Print Yardage Guide Booklet (Under Investigation)

 

    Greens keeping Staff  (or Lounge Staff)

    

    2.      Repair area in front of 3rd Hole pond. (This year)

    3.      Repairing, re-leveling, and reseeding tees where needed.

    4.      Remove the dirt mound on the 9th Hole and plant grass.

    5.      Improve drainage on 2nd Hole front of tees, and between pond and green.

    6.      Expand the pond on 5 forward toward the green to improve drainage.

    7.      Remove Bunker on 5th Hole.

    8.      Improve definition of the cart path on 3 and 6 and add bluestone.

    9.      Timber (post) curbing for the 1st Hole Tee Box  (in progress)

    10.    Restructure and level 5th Hole Tee Box.

    11.    Putting Green/Practice Bunker Development.

    12.    Enlarge Women’s Tee Boxes on 3rd and 9th Holes.

    13.    Add a fairway bunker to 7th Hole. (future consideration)

    

    Membership (Minimal Cost)

    

    1.      Loaming over the holes and ruts on the fairways. (This year and 2-5 years)

    2.      Add a motor to rotate the TV antenna.  (This year)

    3.      Repairing of rotting wood at the door entrance and adding a screen to the Pro Shop. (This year)

    4.      Clearing of brush, branches and rocks from wooded areas in selected  parts of the course to allow
     golfers a more reasonable opportunity to play out of the woods. (Yearly)

    5.      Maintenance of Tee Marker flowers to give color without obstructing plaque. (Yearly)

 

I.  CORRESPONDENCE AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

    1.  Future Meeting Dates as follows:

 

June 11, 2006; and then every second Sunday immediately after the Sunday Scramble.

 

J.  MEETING ADJOURNMENT

1)    Adjourned at 7:35 PM.

 

Minutes approved via the Internet.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Bruce C. Nisula

Secretary, Golf Club Committee