Minutes of Meeting of July 10, 2005

 

A.  MEMBERS PRESENT:   Bill Gately, Tom Canty, Mike Mazzola, Bruce Nisula, and Mark Thomas.

 

B.    OTHERS PRESENT:   None.

 

C.    LOCATION:  Golf Club Lounge

 

D.   CALL TO ORDER:  Director Thomas called the Meeting to order at 11:30 AM.

 

E.    PRIOR MINUTES:  The draft of the prior meeting (May 15) had been previously approved by unanimous vote over the internet.

 

F.    EXECUTIVE SESSION : None

 

G.   OLD BUSINESS

1)     The position for a general laborer during the summer season has been filled. 

2)     The financials were reviewed and operational expenses and revenues are favorable for the time of year.  Indeed, revenues are several thousand dollars ahead and expenses are several thousand dollars behind the corresponding period from last year.

3)      The details for the Member-Guest Tournament and the Club Championship have been posted and emailed to the Membership.

4)     The July 4th  weekend Ice Cream Social held on Sunday was a great success with about 190 persons served.  A follow-up email concerning the event and future modifications to procedures has been placed in our mailbox files.

5)     Bill Gately requested that draft minutes be send to our mailbox for his use.

6)     Mark offered to contact Wayne to determine what progress has been made with pumping out the Clubhouse septic system.

7)     Only three Tee Markers are available for advertisers (3 Men, 3 Women, and 9 Women).  Potential candidates were identified.

8)     The shed project is essentially complete, except for some mulch and the bluestone.  So far about $1,000 of the $2,500 budgeted for the project this year has been spent.  The rest will be needed to purchase the stone.

9)     The old poker room in the basement needs to be cleaned out;  much trash and useless items have accumulated therein.  It was decided that this would be a good task for three workers on a Workday.

10) A motion was made by Bruce and seconded by Bill to approve the plan submitted by Vic Solomini and presented at a Public Hearing yesterday to purchase a triangular piece of land in the area of the 6th Green.  Unanimously approved.

11) There was a consensus that upgrading our kitchen facilities was a higher priority than purchasing a fountain for one of the ponds.  The popularity of the social dinners that are held regularly at the Club was noted as the impetus.  Mark will seek pricing on a new sink (and waste water pump system), refrigerator, and dual oven. 

12)  The Riverside meeting held by the USGA concerning Handicaps is to be attended by Tom Canty, or someone else if he is unable to attend.

13)   Thanks to Mike for overseeing the installation of a wireless router system in the Lounge, through which customers with portable computers and wireless cards can reach the internet.  Laura is in charge of terminating service at the end of our Season.

14)   The Garden Club has many projects and finds its members already over-committed, such that they cannot assist in maintaining some of the shrub beds in the new parking area.

15)  Workdays are scheduled on July 24 and September 18 after the Scramble.

16) It was reported that Jay was asked to cut some grass for a walkway in the woods.   Bruce is to investigate the nature of the commitment in this area.

 

H.  NEW BUSINESS

1.)    Preparations for the Annual Meeting were begun.  Nominations for the three vacancies on the Committee will be sought.

2.)    Mike agreed to prepare the Golf Course’s entry for the local business website, sebagolakeregion.com.

3.)     It was agreed that the current practice of requiring spectators to take a cart, if available, onto the course would be continued.

4.)    Out of bounds markers in front of the houses to the left of the 4th Hole were approved at the Winter Meeting. 

5.)    A motion was made by Bill and seconded by Mark to place red stakes along the wet area to the left of the 8th Green (from the pond to the cart path).  Unanimously approved. 

6.)    A motion was made by Bill and seconded by Tom to place red stakes along the wet areas to the left of the pond on the 3rd Hole.  Unanimously approved. 

7.)    A motion was made by Bill and seconded by Tom to place red stakes along the wet areas to the left on the 2nd Hole.  Approved 3-2, with Bruce and Mark casting the dissenting votes. 

 

I.  CORRESPONDENCE AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

    1.  Future Meeting Dates as follows:

 

August 21, 2005; and then every second Sunday immediately after the Sunday Scramble.

 

J.  MEETING ADJOURNMENT

1)    Adjourned at 12:45 PM.

 

Minutes approved via the Internet.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Bruce C. Nisula

Secretary, Golf Club Committee