Minutes of Meeting of May 15, 2005

 

 

A.  MEMBERS PRESENT:   Bill Gately, Paul Lyons, Mike Mazzola, Bruce Nisula, and Mark Thomas.

 

B.    OTHERS PRESENT:   Laura Crosby and Wayne Fournier, Town Manager.

 

C.    LOCATION:  Golf Club Lounge

 

D.   CALL TO ORDER:  Director Thomas called the Meeting to order at 11:45 AM.

 

E.    PRIOR MINUTES:  The draft of the prior meeting (Winter) had been previously approved by unanimous vote over the internet.

 

F.    EXECUTIVE SESSION : None

 

G.   OLD BUSINESS

1)     Wayne agreed to place an ad in the FINS announcing availability of a position for a general laborer during the summer season.  This person would be at least 18 years of age and physically able to carry out maintenance tasks on the Course, as well as  to empty barrels on tees, clean carts, fill water barrels, maintain ball washers, fill grass seed buckets, clean around the club house and other miscellaneous tasks.

2)     The financials were reviewed and operational expenses and revenues appear on target for the time of year.  A new Ex/Rev Summary Report is now being provided by the Town Office, which summarizes budgetary progress in a highly useful manner.  Wayne agreed that the Office would also provide us monthly summaries in the same format for 2004, which we will use to compare to our 2005 reports.  Also, the Office will send Mark and Bruce the computer files of the TRIO detail reports for each month.  

3)     Bruce reported that the 5th Tee Project was reviewed by a group consisting of a contractor (Lenny of Horizon Golf and his assistant), Jay, Bruce, Mark, and Wayne.  The restructured tee would be leveled throughout, elevated from its lowest point at the rear, comprised of three separate tee boxes measuring about the same size as the current red tee box, and seeded (not covered with sod).  A new irrigation pipe would be run from the distribution box at the rear of the back tee.  In September after Labor Day would be the best time to do the work to give the grass a fall growth period.  Methods for conducting the construction as economically as possible are being explored.  For example, it is estimated that a dump truck and backhoe with operator would cost about $25/ hr and $30/hr, respectively if provided by the Town.  The feasibility of bringing materials onto the island for the project will be explored to keep down costs.

4)     The idea of inviting Mr. Cornish, original architect of the course, to come for a follow-up visit was discussed.  John Kett who had spoken with him last year may be willing to try to arrange a meeting.

5)     Developing a good catalogue system for the Membership to order golf equipment is under way with Laura organizing the details.

6)     The Ryder Cup Tournament has been advertised via our web-site and a sign-up sheet is in the Lounge.  Availability of the prior year’s documentation for the tournament on the web-site made the process of organizing it much easier.  It is worthwhile to continue the process this year—each Tournament organizer can send copies of the relevant files to fryeislandgolf@oddpost.com for storage and use by the Golf Committee in future years.

7)     Only three Tee Markers are available for advertisers (3 Men, 3 Women, and 9 Women).  Potential candidates were identified.

8)     It was decided to hold the Ice Cream Socials on the Sunday evenings of July 4th Weekend and Labor Day Weekend.

9)     Wayne agreed to look into having the septic system serving the lounge pumped out.

10) The shed project will be continued under Paul’s leadership. 

11)  Mark will seek firm pricing for the fountain to be placed in the pond where it can be viewed by golfers on Holes 2, 3, 6, and 7.

12)  Mark will request a specific plot plan from Vic Solomini so that the Committee can evaluate and make a recommendation regarding his proposed purchase of land adjacent to the Golf Course near the 6th Green.

13)   There was no report available from the Handicap Subcommittee concerning USGA and MSGA requirements; it will be sought at the next meeting. 

14)   It was suggested that the Garden Club might have some interest in maintaining some of the shrub beds in the new parking area.  Bruce agreed to explore the matter with the Club.

15)  Workday is scheduled on June 5 after the Scramble.

 

H.  NEW BUSINESS

1.)    Due to impending sale of his family’s property on Frye Island, Chris  has tendered his resignation from the Golf  Committee;  his service and contributions are greatly appreciated. 

2.)    Jay, Head Greenskeeper, has indicated his intention to seek employment elsewhere.  A replacement for him and/or other restructuring of staff responsibilities were discussed.

 

I.  CORRESPONDENCE AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

    1.  Future Meeting Dates as follows:

 

June 5, 2005; and then every second Sunday immediately after the Sunday Scramble.

 

J.  MEETING ADJOURNMENT

1)    Adjourned at 12:45 PM.

 

Minutes approved via the Internet.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Bruce C. Nisula

Secretary, Golf Club Committee