Frye Island Golf Committee
Minutes of Meeting of June 15, 2003
A. MEMBERS PRESENT: Tom Bishop, Tom Canty, Paul Lyons, Bob Miner, Bruce Nisula, and Greg Tedford.
B. OTHERS PRESENT: None.
C. LOCATION: Golf Club Lounge
D. CALL TO ORDER: Director Tedford called the Meeting to order at 10:35 AM.
E. PRIOR MINUTES: The draft of the June 8, 2003 meeting had been previously approved by unanimous vote over the internet.
F. EXECUTIVE SESSION : None
G. OLD BUSINESS
1) The policy that vehicles and machinery belonging to the Golf Course will be on the Island except for periods when they are off Island for official business was reiterated. Bruce will communicate to Jay the need for the greenskeeping staff to adhere to this policy.
2) It has been observed that multiple problems are being encountered with the current approach to mowing the rough--the quality is not the greatest, efficiency is less than in the past, and the mowers are being damaged. Given the skeleton nature of the existing crew, it was decided to explore the feasibility of hiring a part-time employee whose major responsibility would be mowing the rough. Paul could contribute to that employee's training, to take advantage of his experience with the task. Greg will analyze the personnel budget with Wayne to determine whether we have the funds. Meanwhile, others will send out feelers to see if someone with the desirable background and interest can be identified.
3) We will explore the availability of funds in the budget for the Course to take on an additional employee to empty barrels on tees, clean carts, fill water barrels, maintain ball washers, rake traps, clean around the club house and other miscellaneous tasks for about 2 hours of work each day. Minimum wage would be paid. Greg will analyze the personnel budget with Wayne to determine whether we have the funds.
4) The current plan for golf cart washing is for the Lounge staff to hose them down each evening to rid them of dirt and spilled drinks. Then, Jay and his crew would power wash them once monthly. This may be revised if an additional worker is available.
5) It was decided to place the 9th hole granite marker on the side of the men's tee box adjacent to the 8th hole green near the bench on that side.
H. NEW BUSINESS
1.) The financial reports were reviewed. Goals for compiling and comparing monthly reports with the prior year were established. In addition, a daily revenue spreadsheet will be maintained in the Clubhouse to enable Members of the golf Committee to review progress on an as needed basis.
2.) Laura will be encouraged to make up spare keys for the golf carts.
3.) Tom Canty accepted appointment as the Work-day Coordinator. When the grill siding is completed, he will implement a plan for getting the Clubhouse and Grill stained and painted.
4.) After completing the drainage project on the 5th Hole, the greenskeeping staff will be directed, as time permits, to take on projects that enhance course safety for golfers, employees, and equipment in addition to their usual course maintenance.
H. CORRESPONDENCE AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
1. Future Meeting Dates as follows:
Every third Sunday immediately after the Sunday Scramble , the next being July 20, 2003.
I. MEETING ADJOURNMENT
1) Adjourned at 11:35 AM.
Minutes to be approved via the Internet.
Bruce C. Nisula
Secretary, Golf Club Committee