Frye Island Golf Committee

Minutes of Meeting of June 8, 2003

 

 

A.  MEMBERS PRESENT:  Tom Bishop, Tom Canty, John Kett, Kathy Lyons, Paul Lyons, and Bruce Nisula.

 

B.    OTHERS PRESENT:   Wayne Fournier

 

C.    LOCATION:  Golf Club Lounge

 

D.    CALL TO ORDER:  Kathy Lyons was elected Chairperson pro temp and called the Meeting to order at 10:35 AM.

 

E.     PRIOR MINUTES:  The  draft of the May 17, 2003 meeting had been previously approved by unanimous vote over the internet.

 

F.     EXECUTIVE SESSION :   None

 

G.    OLD BUSINESS

 

1)      To date the improvements to the Parking Area have cost $5,692.78.  This includes clearing, grading, backhoe rental, landscaping plants, mulch, and gravel for the base.  Bluestone for the entire area, and shrubs and mulch for three islands constitute the bulk of the remaining costs.  We have been told that the Town and/or FII will provide an additional $2,500, which is necessary for completion of the project this spring.

2)      The long range plan for golf carts is to start next year purchasing one or more used cars per year to replace the dilapidated EZGO portion of the fleet, rather than lease, which requires a six year commitment.  The thirteen carts we have in inventory now were sufficient for the two small tournaments (approximately 29 people total) we had yesterday.  When seeking additional carts, consider that individuals can "loan" their carts to the Golf Course, which in turn can rent them.  The Homeowner's insurance would cover this activity. 

3)      The current plan for golf cart washing is for the Lounge staff to hose them down each evening to rid them of dirt and spilled drinks.   Laura will communicate the responsibility to the Lounge staff. Then, Jay and his crew would power wash them once monthly.  This may be revised if an additional worker is available.

4)      Wayne reported that he had communications from the Maine Municipal Association and the Town insurer that people who volunteer to aid in the operation of the golf Course are covered the same as Town employees for liability purposes.  He will send us copies of these for our files.

5)      Current indications for our budget situation is that our expenses are somewhat less than last year and our revenue is up somewhat (despite all the rain).   Good news!

6)      John Kett and Jim Kuiken will be installing a sensor control that would shut off the irrigation pump if a break in an outflow pipe occurs.  The estimated cost is less than $350.  This project was unanimously approved.

7)      An additional employee to take on miscellaneous tasks (empty barrels on tees, clean carts, fill water barrels, maintain ball washers, rake traps, and the like) would have about 2-2.5 hours of work each day, according to Tom Bishop's recent assessment (He filled the weekend slot recently).  All were enthusiastic about hiring such an individual.  At the next meeting we will seek more specific definition of the tasks, what the position will cost on an hourly basis, and who will be responsible for selecting the employee, and then after review of the financials we will attempt to come to a definitive decision.

8)      The drainage project on the 5th hole will be completed as soon as practical. 

9)      Information will be sought to determine why the monument for the Men's 9th Tee has not been replaced in its original location.

10)  Vic Solomini has volunteered to run one of the Ice Cream Socials. There will be two-- one July 4th week-end (Tom will advertise the specific day) and the other Saturday of Labor Day Week-end.  A second volunteer is being sought to run one of these Socials.  Anyone interested please contact Tom Bishop, or another Member of the Committee.

11)  In keeping with the announcement in the FINS that we are having our regular meetings on the 3rd Sunday of any given month in season, we will have a short meeting next week after the scramble.   Wayne indicated that he would have the financials sent to us by E-mail prior to the meetings.

 

H.  NEW BUSINESS

 

1.)  It was decided to form a Sub-Committee, consisting of Bruce, Greg and Kathy, which is assigned the task of planning the Personnel Budget for next year.  The Sub-Committee will coordinate with Wayne to finalize the plan prior to Labor Day.

 

H.    CORRESPONDENCE AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

    1.  Future Meeting Dates as follows:

 

Every third Sunday immediately after the Sunday Scramble , the next being June 15, 2003.

 

I.       MEETING ADJOURNMENT

1)     Adjourned at 11:45 AM.

 

Minutes to be approved via the Internet.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Bruce C. Nisula

Secretary, Golf Club Committee